Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spring Awakenings

It's hard to believe it's been four months since my last post.  Winter is a time for hibernation.  I won't say I completely hibernated, but I did do a lot of introspection.  Awakening this spring with new ideas and new realizations, it's time to share...

I have been working on lots of enameling, with lots more to come.  For so long, the ideas just weren't flowing, and it was getting very frustrating.  It was nice to work in a new medium these last few months.  I am hoping that my fans will embrace my new work in enamel.  I will continue my work in metal clay, but the enameling gives me another option when I get stuck.


These were my first designs - a little mid century modern.  It seems to be a concurrent theme...

After a wonderful three day workshop with Barbara Minor at The Ranch Center for Arts and Crafts, I started working in liquid enamel.  It has been rather addictive.  The sgraffito technique has been keeping me busy.  There is so much to learn.

I took a workshop from Angela Gerhard on Craftcast that solidified my understanding of liquid enamel and sgraffito.  It was so much fun, and I continue to play with the techniques.


My new favorite is overfiring the liquid white enamel with a layer of transparent enamel over the top.  The white comes up through the color, create wonderful texture...


The new design inspiration these days is art nouveau.






I plan to experiment with the liquid white enamel, sgraffito and torch firing next...

Please let me know what you think of the new work.




No comments:

Post a Comment